St Martin De Porres
St. Martin de Porres provides a hospitable, safe, and orderly shelter for men 50 years of age and older who are homeless. The shelter opened in October 1984 response to the growing need for an emergency shelter for this special population who are vulnerable to the weather, street predators, and illness. This is to be done in the spirit of ministry of presence, which fosters attention to the individual and respect for each person’s unique situation.
St Martin De Porres currently operates at their full capacity of 212 men a night. The shelter is open 365 nights a year from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 a.m. and during the day for medical convalescent care. During the winter months, they have arrangements with eight local churches to provide space for an additional 34 men a night.
To the best of our knowledge, St. Martin’s is the only night shelter that offers and targets such a multitude of services to the elderly homeless community year-round.
- Night Shelter
- Hot Meals
- Day Respite: 24-hour care for the ill or injured; includes transportation to and from medical appointments.
- Medical Care: A formal agreement with Health Care for the Homeless provides nursing services up to 40 hours a week, without cost to St. Martin’s.
- Restroom and Shower Facilities
- Laundry Room
- Housing Case Management: Our case managers assist residents in securing permanent housing and offer help in dealing with community resources and governmental agencies.
- Drug and Alcohol Counseling
- Counseling from VA outreach worker
- AA Meetings (optional)
- Memorial Services: St. Martin’s hosts memorial services for men who have stayed at the Shelter.